October 15, 2005
Using Bloglines (Windows and Mac) to Manage Your RSS Feeds
Setting up your Bloglines account & Subscribing to MabryOnline’s RSS Feeds
This short tutorial assumes you know how to:
- Use your computer’s browser to navigate to places on the web
- Copy and Paste
Ok, let’s do it!
- Go to bloglines.com
- Sign up for your free account
- Enter your email address
- Enter your password (which must be at least 6 characters long)
- Re-type your password
- Select “-0500 Eastern” for our time zone
- Be certain that English is selected as the language
- If you wish to subscribe to the Bloglines Newsletter, check the box
- Click register
- When you receive an email to complete the registration process, click on the link in the email, which will take you to your Bloglines account.
- Click on the tab “My Feeds” located in the top left hand corner.
- Click on the “Add” link just under the “My Feeds” tab.
- Keep this window available as we will use it again in just a moment.
- Open a new window in your browser.
- In the new browser window, navigate to Dr. Tyson’s blog address: http://mabryonline.org/blogs/tyson/
- Select and then copy the above address
- Paste the blog’s web address into the Bloglines window in the space next to “Blog or Feed URL:”
- Click the [Subscribe] button
- If, under the title “Available Feeds” multiple versions of the web address appear, you may:
- Click on “Preview this feed” for each one to see if one looks better to you than the others
- Click on the checkbox next to the feed to which you wish to subscribe.
- You can play around with the Options, but, while those are cool and powerful, they are beyond the scope of this tutorial.
- Click the [Subscribe] button at the bottom of this window.
- Repeat steps 8 through 14 for each blog address to which you wish to subscribe. (You will only use my blog address once. Each time you repeat these steps, you will put in a different teacher’s blog address.)
- To read the new posts, click on the title of the blog you wish to appear.
Posted by Dr. Tyson