No book bags on the bus. Don't bring anything to school except a pen to sign yearbooks.
posted on: May 24, 2007
Projects are due at the end of class tomorrow.
posted on: May 22, 2007
Your dragon projects are due Wednesday at the end of the period. You cannot take the books home, so notes have to be taken in class. You can do the artwork at home if you want. This will be counted as a quiz grade. Please do your best to be neat, colorful, creative and thorough.
posted on: May 21, 2007
We started a small dragon project today. It will be due Wednesday and should help any grades that on the borderline. It should be done neatly, completely, and in a colorful fashion.
posted on: May 18, 2007
Complete worksheet. Bring literature books if you have not turned them in.
posted on: May 15, 2007
Connotation and denotation worksheet.
posted on: May 14, 2007
Bring your literature books tomorrow.
posted on: May 10, 2007
Giggles test tomorrow. Study 40 - 45.
posted on: May 09, 2007
Giggles quiz Thursday. Complete subject-predicate worksheet tonight.
posted on: May 08, 2007
No homework today. There will be a giggles test Thursday over #40 - 45.
posted on: May 07, 2007
Final persuasive paper due tomorrow. 3rd and 6th must have outline, rough draft, editing checklist, and final. 5th period needs to have outline rough draft, and final.
posted on: May 03, 2007
Final persuasive paper is due Friday. 3rd and 6th must turn in outline, rough draft, editing checklist, and final draft. 5th period needs to have outline, rough draft with evidence of revision, and final draft.
posted on: May 02, 2007
Finish revising your persuasive paper. Final drafts are due Friday.
posted on: May 01, 2007
Persuasive rough drafts are due next Tuesday. We will be going to the media center Monday. Progress reports go out tomorrow.
posted on: April 26, 2007
Finish persuasive outline.
posted on: April 25, 2007
Outlines for persuasive papers are due Thursday. We will be working on this in class tomorrow. Please do not come to class without your articles.
posted on: April 24, 2007
- Reading Log check tomorrow
- DOG test on Wednesday
- Choose a topic for your persuasive paper
- Print an article for your topic
posted on: April 23, 2007
Tomorrow is the final day to turn in your CRCT booklets.
posted on: April 17, 2007
Review your CRCT booklet for tomorrow's test.
posted on: April 16, 2007
CRCT Booklets are now due Monday.
posted on: April 12, 2007
You must have at least 100 of the CRCT terms finished by tomorrow. Use your WAG book and your notes.
posted on: April 11, 2007
Work on CRCT booklets. They are due Thursday.
posted on: April 10, 2007
Workbook page 167. Finish candy bar tales if you didn't finish in class.
posted on: April 09, 2007
Work on CRCT booklets
posted on: March 28, 2007
Workbook page 39.
posted on: March 27, 2007
Workbook, page 37. Final expository papers were due today. I will be taking 10 points off for each day they are late.
posted on: March 26, 2007
Your final expository paper is due Monday. You are required to have the following:
1. Note cards (15-20)
2. Cause and Effect sheet
4. Two rough drafts
5. White revision checklist
6. Final draft typed or handwritten in ink (must follow MLA format).
posted on: March 22, 2007
DO, PA, and PN worksheet.
posted on: March 21, 2007
posted on: March 20, 2007
posted on: March 19, 2007
There is no homework except to bring two candy bars for our candy bar tales.
posted on: March 15, 2007
Complete the IO and DO worksheet. Bring little candy bars by Friday.
posted on: March 13, 2007
Bibliography cards (citations) are due tomorrow. You need to have at least two cards written in the correct format. Bring 2 fun-sized candy bars for our candy bar tales. Complete workbook page 53.
posted on: March 12, 2007
We read Breaker's Bridge in class and answered the questions. Pages 392 -400. We also did WAG page 577, exercises 30 and 31, and WAG page 585, exercise 42. Try to finish your outline for your paper, so we can use inspiration on the computer tomorrow.
posted on: March 08, 2007
Study for DOL quiz. It will be over one of the DOLs from number 25 - 28. Bring all your research material on a daily basis until further notice. You should have a baggy by now to keep your stuff in.
posted on: March 06, 2007
- WB pages 158 and 159 (no WA).
- DOL Quiz Wednesday. Study DOL 25-28.
posted on: March 05, 2007
- Study for your vocabulary test: DOL lessons # 11 - 24. The test is tomorrow.
- Finish your note cards by Monday. You should have 15 - 20 total note cards from at least two sources.
posted on: March 01, 2007
Continue taking notes from your articles. Workbook pages 151 and 152 will be checked tomorrow for everyone.
posted on: February 27, 2007
Print an article about your endangered animal and bring it to class. Use Google with your parents' supervision. It probably has better information than the sites we used at school.
posted on: February 26, 2007
- Bring a large, plastic ziploc bag tomorrow.
- Complete workbook pages 149 and 150. Do the writing application
posted on: February 22, 2007
WB pages 145 and 147. King of Mazy May Quiz tomorrow.
posted on: February 21, 2007
Sorry guys, but you do have homework. Finish reading King of Mazy May. Answer questions #2 - 6 on page 60. Use complete sentences. You will be tested on this story next week. Have a good, long weekend.
posted on: February 16, 2007
Study for your verb test. Study pages 513-325 in the WAG book and pages 479-489 in the WAG book. Review worksheets and WB pages.
posted on: February 15, 2007
Complete workbook, page 89. You have a verb test Friday.
posted on: February 13, 2007
- Citations due tomorrow
- WB page 87
- Media Center tomorrow
- Verb Test Friday
posted on: February 12, 2007
posted on: February 08, 2007
WAG, page 323, exercises 17 and 18.
posted on: February 07, 2007
Study for the figurative language test tomorrow. Use your notes and worksheets. Know the definitions for each type, and be able to identify various sentences by their type of figurative language.
posted on: February 06, 2007
You have a figurative language test Wednesday. Complete the transitive vs. intransitive worksheet for homework tonight.
posted on: February 05, 2007
Study the linking verbs and the helping verbs. You have a list that I gave you a while ago with these verbs on them. They can also be found in the WAG book on pages 315 -321. Make sure you can list at least ten of each. We will be playing a review game with them tomorrow.
posted on: February 01, 2007
Study for your Giggles quiz. If we have a snow day, be prepared to take this quiz Friday.
posted on: January 31, 2007
You will have another giggles quiz Thursday. Study the word list I gave you in class. This will be a fill-in-the-blanks quiz. Also, please complete workbook page 18 for homework tonight. You don't need to do the writing assessment. Finish any figurative language practice that you did not do in class.
posted on: January 29, 2007
Write two citations using the format we learned in class. You can go to the media center blog if you need help with the format.
posted on: January 24, 2007
Study for giggles quiz. See yesterday's blog for details.
posted on: January 23, 2007
- Media center tomorrow
- Reading Log check tomorrow
- WAG, pages. 346 and 347, exercises 33, 34, 35, and 36
- Giggles Vocabulary quiz is Wednesday. Study the following words: askew, portals, emulate, myriad, adept, cadence, otiose, harassment, dormant, eerie, ablaze, ingenuous, clamor, ambled, gaggle, punctilious, waggish, titters, trekked, evoked.
posted on: January 22, 2007
Please study carefully for the Giggles (DOL) test. It will be on one of the last six DOLs we did. Be prepared to make corrections in punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and word usage. Also, you will have to label the simple subject and simple predicate for one clause in the DOL, and you will need to know the definition of the words in that DOL.
posted on: January 18, 2007
- WB, page 31
- DOL Test Friday, study all five DOL's since we started the new program
(Know the capitalization, punctuation, and vocabulary)
posted on: January 17, 2007
Finish thank-you notes and adverb packets.
posted on: January 16, 2007
You have no homework. We will write thank-you notes tomorrow.
posted on: January 11, 2007
Complete adjective and adverb worksheet.
posted on: January 09, 2007
- Study your notes for your adjective quiz
- Greeting cards are due Thursday
posted on: December 19, 2006
- You will have an adjective quiz Wednesday. Study your notes and your WAG book, pages 330-339
- Complete the proper adjective worksheet for tomorrow (both sides).
- Your greeting card is due Thursday.
- If you will be absent when things are due, please turn them in early.
- The qualification spelling bee will be held in my room (6A-3) tomorrow at 8:15.
posted on: December 18, 2006
- Complete workbook page 25.
- Adjective picture and final draft of response to literature are due tomorrow.
posted on: December 14, 2006
Sammy Student Student 1-1.doc This document is an example of MLA format. Make sure you follow the directions I gave you in class. Font should be 12 pt, Times New Roman or Arial. Double space the paper. Indent each paragraph. Use the proper heading. Do not use a title.
posted on: December 13, 2006
- You need to complete WB, p. 23 (this is for a grade)
- Your final draft of your Response to Literature is due Friday (type it at home with MLA format or handwrite it with MLA format)
- Your adjective picture with 20-25 good adjectives is due Friday
posted on: December 13, 2006
- WB, p.21
- Adjective picture due Friday. (it must have 25 good adjectives)
posted on: December 12, 2006
Complete the writing worksheet on unity and coherence.
posted on: December 11, 2006
If you didn't finish your final draft of your Response to Literature, you need to finish it over the weekend. We will be typing these in the media center Monday.
posted on: December 08, 2006
Concluding sentences worksheet.
posted on: December 07, 2006
posted on: December 05, 2006
Complete the elements of writing worksheet.
posted on: December 04, 2006
Finish the journal write: If you had one wish, what would it be and why?
posted on: November 30, 2006
Finish reading 505-512 in the literature book and answer all questions on pg. 512.
posted on: November 29, 2006
Pronoun Test Tomorrow. STUDY, STUDY.STUDY! You need to know the following:
- Be able to list the subject and object pronouns
- Be able to recognize the possessive, demonstrative, and interrogative pronouns
- Be able to pick out the correct pronouns in a sentence
- Be able to pick out all pronouns from a paragraph
posted on: November 28, 2006
- Pronoun Worksheet (both sides)
- Pronoun test Wednesday
posted on: November 27, 2006
- WS 43, Pronouns with appositives
- Finish flip books
posted on: November 20, 2006
WB pages 11 and 12 (no W.A.)
posted on: November 15, 2006
- WB, pages 9 and 10.
- Study for a quiz on sentence types (simple, compound, and complex)
posted on: November 14, 2006
- WB pages 7 and 8 (no writing application)
- Sentence type quiz
- Final group work needs to be turned in by Wednesday
posted on: November 13, 2006
Write ten compound sentences using one coordination conjunction in each sentence. (fanboys)
posted on: November 08, 2006
Complete WB page 47. Study for a DOL quiz on Wednesday.
posted on: November 06, 2006
Complete workbook page 119. Pay careful attention to the examples at the top of the page and to the notes and directions.
posted on: November 02, 2006
Subject/Predicate worksheet (one side only).
posted on: November 01, 2006
Complete the worksheet on friendly letters and alliteration. We will be going to the media center tomorrow.
posted on: October 30, 2006
Subject and Predicate worksheet (side B).
posted on: October 26, 2006
Finish the clause worksheet.
posted on: October 25, 2006
Complete workbook pages 185 and 186 (no writing application).
posted on: October 24, 2006
- Study for a test on "Lob's Girl" (pages 271-281 in Lit. Book)
- Know the vocabulary, page 270
- Be able to give an example of foreshadowing
- Be able to compare and contrast Sandy to Mr. Dodsworth
- Be able to explain a prediction
- Be able to compare humans to animals (physical and emotional traits)
- Study answers to questions 1, 2, and 7 on page 285
posted on: October 23, 2006
WAG, pg. 431, exercises 20 and 23. Bring money for the book fair.
posted on: October 19, 2006
Study for your preposition test. The WAG book pages for prepositions are 350 - 359. Exercises 17, 18, and 19 on page 358 are good practice for your test. Also, you should do the worksheet which compares adverbs to prepositions.
We will go to the book fair on Friday, so bring your money.
posted on: October 18, 2006
- Finish treasure map
- Answer "Lob's Girl" question 2 - 5 on page 281 of the Lit. Book
- Book Fair is Friday
- Preposition Test is Thursday
posted on: October 17, 2006
- WAG, pages 428 and 429, exercises 17 and 18
- Subject/Predicate quiz tomorrow
- Preposition Test Thursday
- Treasure Map due Wednesday (10 directions with prepositions in them)
posted on: October 16, 2006
I forgot to mention the treasure map that we started in class today. It is due Wednesday.
posted on: October 12, 2006
- Your preposition project is due Monday.
- You need to have eight pictures and eight sentences with prepositions in them.
- Highlight the prepositions and underline the object of the preposition.
- Your pictures can be from the internet, hand-drawn, or photographs having to do with your sentences.
posted on: October 12, 2006
- WB pages 35 and 36, no writing application
posted on: October 11, 2006
- Work on preposition project
- Subject/Predicate Quiz Thursday
posted on: October 10, 2006
- Reading log check tomorrow. Have total pages ready.
- WB, pages 33 and 34
- Preposition projects due next Monday. You must have ten pictures with ten sentences containing prepositional phrases. Highlight the prepositions and underline the objects of the prepositions.
posted on: October 09, 2006
- Spelling test tomorrow
- Signed spelling pretest is due for 2nd period
- Wear "preppie" clothes for preposition day
- WAG, p. 353, exercises 2 and 3 due tomorrow
posted on: October 05, 2006
Complete subject/predicate worksheet. Make sure to underline the simple predicates twice in addition to the directions on the sheet. You also have a DOG test. Study parts of speech, sentence parts, sentence types and functions, capitalization, punctuation and diagramming. Signed spelling pretests are due tomorrow, also.
posted on: October 04, 2006
Complete workbook pages 81 and 82. Get spelling pretest signed. DOG test Thursday.
posted on: October 03, 2006
Workbook pages 73 and 74. Bring cookie decorations for tomorrow. We will learn to elaborate.
posted on: September 28, 2006
Please bring decorations for sugar cookies on Friday. If you promised to make the cookies, please bring those tomorrow or Friday, so we will be able to practice elaboration.
WB pages 71 - 72 are due tomorrow.
posted on: September 27, 2006
Complete workbook pages 65 and 66.
posted on: September 25, 2006
The helping verb quiz is tomorrow. Also, complete WAG 323, exercise 19.
posted on: September 20, 2006
You will have a spelling test Friday over the words you missed on the pretest. Your missed words spelled correctly are due tomorrow with a parent signature. You need to complete WAG page 323, exercise 17 and 18 AND...
You have a helping verb quiz on Thursday.
posted on: September 19, 2006
WB, pgs. 19 and 29 (no writing assessment). Correct your spelling pretest at home. Your parents may help you, and you should use the dictionary. These need to be signed by a parent by Wednesday. There will be a posttest on the words you missed on Friday.
posted on: September 18, 2006
Study for your Writing Process test. The test is tomorrow. You need to know all five steps in order and be able to give 4 details for each step. Also, you need to be able to write a 5-7 sentence paragraph explaining how the writing process will help improve your writing. You should review the graphic organizer that we did in groups on the Writing Process. Also, you can skim the chapter on the Writing Process in the book, pages 14-27 in the WAG book.
posted on: September 12, 2006
Complete WAG page 308, exercise 28.
You have a Writing Process test on Wednesday and a Noun test on Thursday. Study notes and previous worksheets and workbook exercises.
posted on: September 11, 2006
No homework for Monday. You will have a test over the Writing Process Wednesday and a test over nouns Thursday.
posted on: September 08, 2006
Complete the singular and plural worksheet. Use the chart that I gave you in class or the dictionary if necessary. This will be a graded assignment.
posted on: September 07, 2006
Complete workbook pgs. 45 and 46.
posted on: September 06, 2006
Complete WB pgs. 43 and 44. Be prepared to go over several nights of homework since we are finished with the MacLab. Those who did not finish testing will have a chance to finish sometime this week.
posted on: September 05, 2006
WAG, p. 299, exercise 12. Performance series testing for reading and language arts begins tomorrow for Mrs. Burke.
posted on: August 31, 2006
Complete workbook p. 6. Finish WAG p. 299, exercises 8 and 9 if you didn't finish in class.
posted on: August 30, 2006
Workbook, p. 3.
DOL test tomorrow. Study!
posted on: August 29, 2006
- Complete abstract noun sheet.
- Finish noun chart. Make sure it is covered and has definitions, 3 examples, and a sentence for each noun type.
- We will have a DOL quiz on Wednesday. Study all previous DOLs
posted on: August 28, 2006
You received a grammar workbook today. Your homework is to complete page one. Bring this workbook to class everyday.
posted on: August 24, 2006
Make a list of 5 possessive nouns, 5 collective nouns, and 5 abstract nouns.
posted on: August 23, 2006
Get your syllabus signed. In your journal, write a paragraph explaining what prewriting is and why it is important.
posted on: August 22, 2006
Write a paragraph in your journal which answers the question: How is a writer like a sculptor?
posted on: August 21, 2006
Don't forget your play dough! Have a great weekend.
posted on: August 18, 2006
Write a friendly letter to me as if you were your fifth grade teacher. The body only needs to be one paragraph about your strengths and weaknesses.
posted on: August 17, 2006
- Finish journal writing if you didn't finish in class.
- Bring play dough for Monday.
- If you wish to make your own play dough, the recipe is as follows:
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 and a half cups of salt
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of food coloring
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Add food coloring until you reach the desired color.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Make sure you have finished setting up your language arts binder by Thursday.
posted on: August 16, 2006
Summer reading is due tomorrow. This is the last day it will be accepted. Finish setting up your language arts notebook.
posted on: August 15, 2006
- Bring a novel for SSR with your new orange log
- Bring white binder, notebook paper, dividers with tabs, journal (black and white composition book), grading pens, highlighter
- Summer reading is due Wednesday (if you are new to the area, you may choose one book to complete by August 28)
posted on: August 14, 2006