Making Learning Irresitable for Over 25 Years. Making Learning Irresitable for Over 25 Years.

« Two Really Big Announcements | Main | An Interactive Desk? »

January 25, 2006
I Heard It on the Radio

An author was speaking with an interviewer on the radio this morning as I drove in to school. The quotation she made from her book made me stop and think--which is almost always a good thing. I invite you to stop and think about the quotation as well.

Perhaps you want to share your reflections as comments to this post. What does the quotation mean to you as a student, a child, an adult? You might give us some example, offer clarification, or in some other way shed more light on how this quotation could help us all be better parents, educators, students, and people in general.

The quotation:

"Caring and criticizing are bought with the same coins."

Posted by Dr. Tyson

Comments

Yes they are bought with the same coins, however I think caring can be more valuable unless the criticism is positive!

(Enjoyed browsing your blog...my children went to Mabry and I was your bookkeeper and field technician at one time...now residing in Florida.)

Hope your students and teachers continue to benefit from blogging!

Posted by: Mary Jo at January 25, 2006 9:07 PM

Upon first evaluateing this expression I think to myself I must first understand it piece by piece. I assume that the coins are refering to what you say effect on others. So giveing care and critcizm is of equal cost to you. So in the end I personaly would disagree, as some people may not very much feel comfortable giveing criticizm and may be more accustomed to not voiceing such thoughts and oppinions but still will show that they care about whatever it is which evaluation is possible.
-TheSoundOfMusic

Posted by: Anonymous at January 29, 2006 10:10 PM

Caring and criticizing are not bought with the same coins. Criticism is cheaper because the one doing the criticizing does not offer constructive or directive advice. Criticism is worthless.
Caring is more expensive and more valuable requiring one to become more involved with understanding the needs and perspectives of others. Caring is an ongoing process that is priceless.

Posted by: Kabari at January 30, 2006 4:45 PM

As a mother and teacher I can see the authors' point of view. I think we must remember that constructive criticism is easier to receive, and is best given with love and in small doses.

Posted by: Barbara at January 31, 2006 4:57 PM

Excellent points made regarding disparity in investment and worth between the two. Have also seen this expression worded slightly different used specifically to advise use of caution, reflection, and love before speaking.

"Caring and criticizing are bought with the same verbal currency"

Posted by: Richard at February 1, 2006 1:43 PM

I understand that quote. Caring can be confused with critizim (as I saw on Good Morning america this morning.), mainly when someone comments on something another worked so hard on.

Posted by: Barb at February 2, 2006 6:28 PM

Wow, this is quite a powerful phrase. I will keep it in mind!

Posted by: vla001 at February 8, 2006 12:38 PM

Constructive criticism is always good when used as a method of caring, such as "honey, the shirt you picked out doesn't look very good with those pants" or "your hair is getting very long and doesn't look good in your eyes." This all means I care about you very much and want to help you with your appearance (or whatever the criticism entails).

Posted by: Mom of 6th Grader at February 13, 2006 9:54 AM

If you don't care, you won't constructively criticize; if you don't constructively criticize, you probably don't really care. It's the same currency, but the question is how well that currency is used. Caring is the asset, criticism is the debit; the trick with any criticism is to come out with a positive balance.

Posted by: Sylvia at February 22, 2006 12:10 AM

It's interesting that most of the responses to the quote interpret the word, "criticism", as having a negative connotation.

In what areas of Society does criticism not play a vital role? Thank Goodness for Restaurant Critics and Movie Critics! What would I have achieved if my Parents and my Teachers hadn't taught me to look for areas of needed improvement within myself?

Understanding "criticism" is to recognize that X can be better: X can improve, X can do more, X has the ability to achieve greatness.

Consider the world without criticism: X can never be better, will never improve, can't do more, and doesn't have the ability to achieve greatness. Would you want to live in such a static and hopeless state?

Whithout critical thought, would Benjamin Franklin, Henry Ford, G.W. Carver- or even the United States of America- ever been possible?

The use of the word "coins" in the quote indicate that caring and criticism are products that are for sale, meaning that an exchange of equally valued items is made. "Caring and criticism" are what the consumer needs or desires.

"You gotta give something to get something."
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained"
"You get out what you put in."

Making the decisions to GIVE your time, your thoughts, and your diligence to the completion of a task are the ideas that PRODUCE a heartfelt desire for the task. When we care about something, don't we want it to be the very best?

How do we know if it's not the very best, yet?

Through critical analysis.

What, then can

Posted by: Melissa at April 27, 2006 1:35 AM

Making Learning Irresitable for Over 25 Years.
MabryOnline.org
Celebrating over 25 years of academic excellence
Working to attain world-class student achievement